Plymouth is one of the largest universities in the country, and certainly the largest in the south-west, with approximately 30,000 students. The university’s aim is to be known as the enterprise university and since 2000 it has spent £150m in a capital programme delivering a first-class campus. The main campus is within easy walking distance of the city centre, main shopping area, transports hubs and accommodation. It is bordered by the moors and the sea, offering students a great work/life balance. The location also plays a part in studies here: courses relating to marine life and the oceans are particularly well regarded.
UNIVERSITY OF PLYMOUTH
Plymouth is the only UK university to have its own diving and marine centre where students can gain an internationally recognised diving qualification as part of their marine-based degree. It also has a state-of-the-art Immersive Vision theatre, and a natural-light photography studio, thought to be the only ones of their kind in a UK university.
The university offers 24/7 access to on-campus computer suites and its library, and recently opened a new employability centre – Gateway – which provides careers information, CV advice and interview tuition to all current students and recent graduates. It is also constructing a £19m marine facility that will house the country’s most advanced wave-tank facilities.
- One of the UK’s largest universities, with history dating back to 1862. Later became a polytechnic and received university status in 1992.
- Plymouth is a partner in the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry and the Combined Universities in Cornwall.
- Awarded a Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2012 in respect of its marine and maritime work.
- Plymouth University Colleges Faculty is a network of colleges throughout the South West, providing degree opportunities for people in locations close to home.
- Based on the 20010-11 academic year, male 42.89%, female 57.2%.
- Undergraduate 85.6%, postgraduate 14.4%.
- Nationally acclaimed for teaching excellence.
- Only South West university chosen to pilot new two-year degrees.
- Fifteen subject areas ranked excellent or equivalent in independent assessments by the Quality Assurance Agency.
- Widely acknowledged as having one of the best research performances amongst the modern universities.
- Plymouth has a national and international research profile. In the Research Assessment Exercise 2008, 80% of the research was judged as being of international repute, and 18 of the 25 areas submitted were judged to have world-leading research
- The university submitted nearly 400 staff to RAE 2008 – a 70% increase on the RAE 2001 submission. Research Fortnight named the university as one of the top 50 research institutions and ‘most improved’ since the last RAE.
- Wide variety including Marine and Environmental Sciences, Robotics and Computer Science, Education, Psychology, Engineering, Architecture, Social Work, Hospitality and Tourism,Sustainability, and Business.
- Strong focus on enterprise and employability, preparing students for entrepreneurial leadership and to be effective employees capable of making a valuable contribution in their chosen field.
STUDENT FACILITIES, INCLUDING LIBRARY AND COMPUTING
- Recent multi-million pound investment in new buildings and refurbished laboratories and library. Library now provides access to 500,000 books and multimedia resources, 22,000 journals and many international resources.
- New employability centre opened at the heart of the campus.
- Comprehensive IT network with 24-hour wireless access.
- Cutting-edge ‘immersive vision theatre’ – the first at a UK university – gives students the opportunity to experience fieldwork conditions in advance using innovative technology.
- Received a Green Gown Award in 2011 for continuous institutional improvement in sustainability issues.
- Award-winning Students’ Union, including Best Bar None: Gold; Health at Work Award: Platinu.
- £3-million Students’ Union building and eco garden opened in 2007.
- Over 100 clubs and societies, ranging from Ultimate Frisbee to the DJ Society.
- Plenty of opportunities for involvement in interesting and exciting voluntary projects, including the new Plymouth Award.
- Sports centre with four-court sports hall and state-of-the-art fitness suite.
- Unique Diving & Marine Centre.
- Watersports centre offering students the use of dinghies, yachts, power boats, canoes and other vessels.
- Five grass pitches available for student use, plus use of astro turf pitches.
A city partner in the Plymuth Life Centre, set to open in 2012.